[mythtv-users] Question about switching from cable to satellite

Adam Jimerson vendion at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 02:00:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Friday, October 29, 2010 08:46:47 am Adam Jimerson wrote:

> and
> >
> > Linux

> > > The HDPVR seems to be best bet for capturing from satellite boxes.
> > > http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
> > >
> > > and most definitely read this -
> > > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR
> >
> > The HDPVR is a bit more than I would like to spend, but it seems like it
> > will do what I want and then some.  From the wiki page you linked to it
> > seems like setting it up will be very simple.  Thank you for the
> > suggestion, but one question is left is if it has a single tuner or two?
>
> None. The HD-PVR only accepts baseband input (component for HD), so you
> need an external STB or receiver.
>
> The only "tuner" you can use for satellite is the receiver/STB provided by
> the satellite carrier.
>
> I'll grant that the HD-PVR is expensive, but it works extremely well, and
> is the only solution I'm aware of to record HD
> from a sat receiver.

So if the HD-PVR relies on the tuner in the receiver than how will Myth be
able to control the box when it needs to change changes, ether for live
viewing or for recording assuming this is even possible?

If it works then I'm sure I can justify the cost for one, just need to know
what to expect with it.