[mythtv-users] Flag commercials queue getting pretty long

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 27 21:52:26 UTC 2010

  On 10/27/2010 05:25 PM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Clay wrote:
>> Don't get too carried away. I've found high load tends to chop up recordings
>> in progress.
>> Test record some hi def while it's running to be sure you're getting good
>> files.
> On my i7-860 backend (quad core + HT), I do 4 concurrent commflag in
> high CPU mode, and it can record several HD recordings and SD
> recordings, and do playback while doing so, no glitchies.  This with
> all 8 "cores" pegged at 100% CPU.
>
> Give it a try, but be aware you may need to tweak :)

Note, also, that the /only/ difference between the High and Medium CPU
usage settings in mythcommflag is that Medium is run full-bore at nice
17***, whereas High is run full-bore at whatever nice level mythbackend
is running.  Therefore, IMHO, there's no real downside to using Medium
over High (as it just prioritizes things appropriately).

Low CPU usage, on the other hand, actually sleeps for a bit after
processing every few frames and runs at nice 17 for mythcommflag jobs.

Mike

*** mythtranscode and mythcommflag jobs run by the Job Queue are run at
nice 17 for Low and Medium CPU usage, but user jobs are run at nice 10
for Medium CPU usage and nice 17 for Low CPU usage.