[mythtv-users] DisplaySize = Full ?

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Sat Oct 23 18:32:28 UTC 2010

On 10/23/2010 8:52 AM, mike at grounded.net wrote:
>>>   When watching on SD TV's, I need composite, when watching on HDTV, I need HDMI
>>>   so want to be able to switch between them.
>>>
>>   Why are you trying to run multiple TVs off a single frontend?
> As I said, I want to be able to switch between SD and HD TV's depending on which room I'm going to be watching TV in.
> Besides, why couldn't you have multiple TV's off on one front end anyhow? Not sure I understand what you're saying.

This is just me, but if I were living alone, I wouldn't mind having a
single frontend connected to each TV in the house.  But as soon as more
people are interested in watching TV, not everyone will always want to
watch the exact same thing all the time.  In that case, a cheap, lowend
frontend machine (like a Revo 1600) at each TV makes a lot more sense.

Another option, it sounds like you have a lot of spare computer parts
laying around, you could take an old computer, and just upgrade the
video card, and now you have a new frontend machine for another TV.  If
the computer is big and loud, put it in a different room, and just use a
long HDMI cable (or HDMI over cat5).

However, if you're dead set on doing it the way you wrote, yes you can
switch resolutions with a remote control.  irexec can bind a remote
button to execute any arbitrary command.  One such command could be
xrandr, which lets you switch resolutions from the command line.