[mythtv-users] Harmony 700?

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 14:14:46 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 7:47 AM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Costco is selling the Harmony 700 remote right now, so that caught my eye
>> the other day.  The price is $100, about the same as Amazon.  I searched
>> this forum and found that no one has posted anything about this remote.
>> Anyone using this remote?  Is it suitable for Myth?
>> Thanks!
>
> I picked up the Harmony 700 yesterday, and I mostly have it working all my
> devices, including MythTV.  I currently use the IR receiver of a PVR-250, so
> on the Harmony, for my mythtv device, I selected Computer, Media pc, MythTV,
> PVR-250.  This set up the buttons I mostly needed to control myth, and the
> lircd.conf I already had just worked.  I had to remap a few buttons and
> modify lircrc, but that was expected.
> I have one little problem that maybe the Harmony experts here can explain to
> me.  When I choose an activity like "Watch TV", the remote makes sure all
> the right devices are powered on, selects the right AVR input, and just like
> that, all the controls work.  I use the AVR to control sound, and the cable
> box to change channels, and the TV does nothing except look pretty.  This
> all works great.
> If I choose the activity Watch Myth, again, it makes sure the AVR is on, and
> set to the right input.  At that point, I can do volume and mute, and the
> AVR responds.  But none of the mythtv controls work unless I enter the
> devices menu and manually toggle to the mythTV device.  And, once I've done
> that, the audio controls on the AVR no longer work.
> How can I set this up so that the MythTV activity works seamlessly like the
> watch TV activity?  I would rather not have to manually select the mythtv
> device after executing the watch mythtv activity.
> Larry

If you go to http://members.harmonyremote.com and login, then press
the more button, on the right there will be an activity for your
mythtv entry.

Change the behavior of buttons will let you assign the buttons under
that activity to specific devices.  It sounds like the device for most
of the actions is not set correctly to your pvr device.?

Other than that, it sounds like you may not have the right devices
assigned to the activity.  You can just re-run the setup wizard for
that activity and properly select it.  That should do it.

(You can do all of this with the windows software I am sure, but I do
not have that available).