[mythtv-users] Harmony 700?

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 12:47:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:

> Costco is selling the Harmony 700 remote right now, so that caught my eye
> the other day.  The price is $100, about the same as Amazon.  I searched
> this forum and found that no one has posted *anything *about this remote.
>
> Anyone using this remote?  Is it suitable for Myth?
>
> Thanks!

I picked up the Harmony 700 yesterday, and I mostly have it working all my
devices, including MythTV.  I currently use the IR receiver of a PVR-250, so
on the Harmony, for my mythtv device, I selected Computer, Media pc, MythTV,
PVR-250.  This set up the buttons I mostly needed to control myth, and the
lircd.conf I already had just worked.  I had to remap a few buttons and
modify lircrc, but that was expected.

I have one little problem that maybe the Harmony experts here can explain to
me.  When I choose an activity like "Watch TV", the remote makes sure all
the right devices are powered on, selects the right AVR input, and just like
that, all the controls work.  I use the AVR to control sound, and the cable
box to change channels, and the TV does nothing except look pretty.  This
all works great.

If I choose the activity Watch Myth, again, it makes sure the AVR is on, and
set to the right input.  At that point, I can do volume and mute, and the
AVR responds.  But none of the mythtv controls work unless I enter the
devices menu and manually toggle to the mythTV device.  And, once I've done
that, the audio controls on the AVR no longer work.

How can I set this up so that the MythTV activity works seamlessly like the
watch TV activity?  I would rather not have to manually select the mythtv
device after executing the watch mythtv activity.

Larry