[mythtv-users] FCC releases CableCard changes

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Mon Oct 18 14:36:16 UTC 2010

On 10/18/2010 9:31 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> So the best hope is that "market forces" will cause more programming to be marked as copy freely.
>
> With the annual "money grab and channel blackout" season well underway, perhaps that's something the cable operators
> should put on the table: if you want more money for your programming, make it more friendly to our customers.
>
> I think that in most cases it's not the actual cable operator that decides on the status of programming, but rather the
> original owner.
>
> Fox claims they deserve more money because they provide "quality programming", certainly a large part of "quality" is
> being able to use it the way you want.

I wonder how often company execs see their shrinking subscriber base as a problem cause by these things rather than just a phase in the economy.

That, and a lot of the people I know are just simply oblivious to the options other than what the service provider shoves down their throat.

We are the minuscule minority.

  -Ben