[mythtv-users] FCC releases CableCard changes

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 18 14:31:04 UTC 2010

On Monday, October 18, 2010 08:22:29 am jedi wrote:

>    This is as much an issue for Tivo and MCE users as it is for us. This is
> 2010: Who wants their content to be trapped in the device that recorded it
> only accessable to the singular TV that happens to be attached to that
> device?
>
>    Those DRM flags are why I am in no rush to flee from DTV for another
> cable service that I could use a blessed 3rd party solution for. Even if
> Linux had CC support as good as Microsoft's, there would still be the
> problem of copy flags and moving recordings between devices.

So the best hope is that "market forces" will cause more programming to be marked as copy freely.

With the annual "money grab and channel blackout" season well underway, perhaps that's something the cable operators
should put on the table: if you want more money for your programming, make it more friendly to our customers.

I think that in most cases it's not the actual cable operator that decides on the status of programming, but rather the
original owner.

Fox claims they deserve more money because they provide "quality programming", certainly a large part of "quality" is
being able to use it the way you want.