[mythtv-users] How MANY backend threads!?!?!? ***** AUTO-REPLY *****

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Oct 14 15:00:22 UTC 2010

On Thursday, October 14, 2010 08:50:04 am Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 10/14/2010 10:13, Brian Wood wrote:

> >> I forgot all about cyrix and never really gave via a chance since
> >> their chipsets were just about the worst on motherboards you could
> >> find..  Too many memories now..  RMA hell  :)
> >
> > I have several thin clients using VIA C7s and they have worked very well,
> > for what they were designed for. I think they are better than Atoms at
> > similar speeds. I think a reasonable frontend could be built with a C7
> > and VDPAU-capable graphics.
>
> The Atoms are more powerful than the C7s at a per-clock basis, which
> says quite a bit about the C7 that it is bested by an extremely simple,
> in-order core.  The Nanos are in turn more powerful than the Atoms, as
> they should being an OOO core, but they also have a much higher power
> consumption.  The whole lot of them get absolutely demolished by even
> the low end Athlon/Phenom/Core chips, and when you consider a dedicated
> frontend should be off or in standby for most of the time, such a low
> end client is only going to save you a couple dollars per year in
> electricity.
>
> I recall there being something that prevented use of modern nVidia cards
> with VIA hardware.  They have required SSE support for several years
> now, but VIA chips have that capability.  Not sure what I'm thinking of...

The C7 does have sse and sse2, but finding a board with that CPU and PCIExpress would be hard. I suppose you could use a
standard PCI nVidia card, but PCI implementation was always a big bugaboo with VIA.

Anyway, we are getting way off this thread's original topic, which was sort of OT in the first place.