[mythtv-users] How MANY backend threads!?!?!? ***** AUTO-REPLY *****

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Oct 14 14:50:04 UTC 2010

On 10/14/2010 10:13, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Thursday, October 14, 2010 08:02:04 am Greg Oliver wrote:
>>> Well there was Cyrix, and VIA still makes some CPUs.
>> I forgot all about cyrix and never really gave via a chance since
>> their chipsets were just about the worst on motherboards you could
>> find..  Too many memories now..  RMA hell  :)
> I have several thin clients using VIA C7s and they have worked very well, for what they were designed for. I think they are better than Atoms at similar speeds. I think a reasonable frontend could be built with a C7 and VDPAU-capable graphics.

The Atoms are more powerful than the C7s at a per-clock basis, which
says quite a bit about the C7 that it is bested by an extremely simple,
in-order core.  The Nanos are in turn more powerful than the Atoms, as
they should being an OOO core, but they also have a much higher power
consumption.  The whole lot of them get absolutely demolished by even
the low end Athlon/Phenom/Core chips, and when you consider a dedicated
frontend should be off or in standby for most of the time, such a low
end client is only going to save you a couple dollars per year in
electricity.

I recall there being something that prevented use of modern nVidia cards
with VIA hardware.  They have required SSE support for several years
now, but VIA chips have that capability.  Not sure what I'm thinking of...