[mythtv-users] All of this hardware talk reminds me...

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 14 03:14:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I built a pretty beefy machine (multi-use), and the cpu cores all seem
> to stay at 800mhz unless of course I am doing something.  The problem
> is they do not know when I am about to press the skip or any ff/rew
> button for that matter.  I definitely do not want to run it full bore
> since it is almost always idle, but I would like it responsive in the
> myth menus.
>
> Mind you I have not researched any of this, but is there a setting
> somewhere to run a core at 2GHz when watching video?   :)  I have been
> unable to get a smooth playback no matter what I do.  If I bind the
> mythfrontend process to a single core and lock the governor on it does
> anyone know if it will cause mythtv issues?  I would have to run a
> core at 2GHz all the time, but I could script something to work around
> it..

There are some knobs in sysfs you may be able to tweak for frequency
ramp-up (and down) that might be of help. Another idea would be to add
jobs that run at the start and end of playback, changing your governor
from ondemand to performance, then back again (I know I've seen the
hooks to do this somewhere in mythfrontend's setup section to do this,
but I'm not particularly familiar with them myself). Also, I'm
assuming you already know this, but for those playing along at home,
depending on your cpu, it may or may not actually support running
cores at different frequencies, if you were going to try to go the
"only ramp up one core" route.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com