[mythtv-users] N220GT nVidia Drivers

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 01:22:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 5:58 PM, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:

> Building outside of myth, you mention that this has been mentioned but, can't say I've seen that or missed it. Either way, you could also mean manually, from the command line, without myth running which is what I'm guessing you mean. I've seen those things mentioned. Still doesn't tell me how to finish setting up this pvr-500 :).

This means doing test captures from the command line (something like
"cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg") and then playing it with something (you
can even use mythavtest although I might have that programs name
wrong.  If that works, then you know the capture card is set up fine
and you can follow other people's advice as to integrating it within
myth.

> Also, I wasn't actually thinking of capturing first, I first wanted to nab local TV over ATSC which I thought this card does.
> I suppose however that at this point, I don't care which I do first, just need to pull the last bits together.

This is impossible.  The card is an analog capture card.  It will not
capture an ATSC signal.  As far as I know, you can't capture any OTA
signal with this card within the US (and I am guessing the rest of the
world, but I don't know).  What this card is useful for is capturing
the output of an STB provided to you from your cable/satellite
provider using either the coaxial or S-Video output of the STB (or
what I do, using the component output with an S-Video adapter).  In
short, you will not be able to capture OTA with this.  If that is your
thinking, you should use a different card.

Not to be rude, but I am a little surprised that you did not know
this.  You should make sure you are pretty familiar with the
capabilities of what your hardware can do so you are not surprised
when things don't work the way you expect (or ask the list questions
on how to do the impossible).