[mythtv-users] Best way to submit debug data for Mythbuntu 0.24 autobuilds

James Crow crow.jamesm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 12:09:28 UTC 2010

I have been running Mythbuntu 10.04 w/ 0.24 autbuilds for a few weeks.
A couple of times a week my MBE locks up. It does not segfault, it
just stops responding to any FE and the current recordings on the MBE
stop as well. The problem always occurs just as a show is starting to
record. I want to make sure I get the required debugging data to
submit a ticket.

I have the mythtv-dbg build installed. I think I will need to run
mythbackend under gdb as per the documentation. On Mythbuntu the BE is
normally run as user mythtv. Should I alter the upstart script to make
mythbackend run under gdb? Should I start gdb/mythbackend from a
normal shell and wait for the lockup to Ctrl-C the gdb process? I
think the documentation is describing a situation where the BE seg
faults rather than just locks up. Any ideas of the proper way to
generate a backtrace under these circumstances is appreciated.

Thanks,
James