[mythtv-users] OT: question about digital TV set-top box DCT-3200

Marc Barrett mnealbarrett at cox.net
Wed Oct 6 22:45:55 UTC 2010

I canceled my digital cable subscription (downgrading to
standard cable TV with 70 "analog" channels).  Since I
did that, my cable provider (Cox Communications) has
been, trying to entice me with various offers.  Their
latest is "free" digital TV "for life" with their "premier"
level of high-speed internet.  I am tempted, but I'd
like to do what I can to keep the bill as low as possible.

One way I can do that is to buy my own digital cable box.
When I subscribed to digital cable before, the box they
gave me was a Motorola DCT-3200.  I discovered that
these boxes are available on ebay for about $50.  I have
a question about that.  The box I had before appeared to
have a card in the back, likely a CableCard with
subscriber information on it.  If I bought one of the boxes
from ebay, even if it came with a card, would I need to
get a CableCard from my cable company for it to work?