[mythtv-users] xorg.conf for fx5200

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 20:34:33 UTC 2010

On 5 October 2010 20:48, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
>> Apply KISS. Try installing a known good CD of mythbuntu using just a
>> standard VGA monitor as a start with only the fx5200 in a
>> system, Gxx0 card OUT of system.  One video card.   I still don't know
>> whether you've ever seen the initial mythbuntu menu options?
>
> Yes, I've done that also. I don't have a bunch of cards in the system, only a single VGA and TV out card and an ATSC card.
> And as I've said many times, I do have a working myth system, everything works, only the TV doesn't seem to.
>
>> Alternatively order a vdpau card and be committed to spending the dosh, and
>> repeat....
>
> I don't mind spending more money on it, just trying to work through all of the input, suggestions, one step at a time :).
> Right now, I want to run that test to see if TV out works on the fx5200 card. Guessing it wont since I've had it connected and booting a number of times.
> Next, I found some info on using a PCI-X card which is interesting because I've got lots of hardware which have PCI-X. I just don't have much for workstation type hardware, PC's I guess you'd call them. Most of my hardware are blade servers or multi-cpu servers, all server class.
>
> Finally,  someone suggested a GT220 yesterday so, there are some options to go through.

So the 5200 didn't show the bios... not good news it's certainly
starting to point towards the card being fritzed. It's a long shot but
it **could** be the S-VIDEO cable, the pins on the connectors are a
bit delicate & known to bend/break (I've done it myself), so it's
worth inspecting it and if possible trying it on some other equipment.
Once you've ruled that out, try connecting up to VGA and seeing if you
need to enable anything in the BIOS to get it to use your 5200 at boot
up.
If none of that proves fruitful in getting something on the TV it's
time to give up on this card....(send it to me I could use a spare!
;-)  )

I don't suppose you are lucky enough to have a TV with a SCART
connector on the back like we have over here are you? (that way you
can use the VGA output with a simple circuit).