[mythtv-users] Matrox Millennium G400 MAX

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Oct 5 14:56:57 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, October 05, 2010 08:49:06 am aaron wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:17, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > Boy that's the truth. So much today is either sequels or remakes, or
> > outright exploitation of some group (usually kids). They want a
> > guaranteed hit, and stealing someone else's previous success seems to
> > them to be the way to get that. The follow-ons are never as good as the
> > originals, so you might as well just watch that. "Ocean's 47", or
> > whatever incarnation they are at now, can't touch the original 1960s
> > version, and the latest "Star Trek" was a travesty as well as outright
> > theft of concept (I don't care if they paid for the rights, it stunk,
> > and dishonored the original).
>
> I enjoyed the latest Star Trek movie... :) but I don't want to get
> into an argument; everyone is entitled to enjoy or hate whichever
> movies he/she wants. I, personally, thought White Men Can't Jump was
> awful. Apparently I was in the minority there too.
>
> > I agree, Netflix is great. It shows that DVD quality is sufficient for
> > most things. My main fear is that as more people discover Netflix
> > streaming the ISPs will tighten up their bandwidth caps, trying to push
> > other on-demand services that cost far more, and are often owned by the
> > ISP itself (usually a cable company).
>
> We just got Netflix streaming in Canada. I am eager to sign up, but my
> free time is so limited I can't make much use of the free month offer.
> At least I want to see what the quality is like. Does it look good? Is
> it worth the extra bandwidth to stream in HD? (my cap is 60 GB, which
> I usually don't go near, but I do use a reasonable chunk for backups
> and other "routine" stuff)
>
> To bring this back on topic... I want Netflix streaming in a Myth plugin!
> ;-)
>
> (my machine isn't powerful enough to do full-screen [1920x1080] flash

The problem isn't decoding the flash (actually silverlight I think). The problem is DRM.

I'd love to see Netflix native to Myth, but you won't see any solution that's open source, or Linux at all, unless it uses
the proprietary chip (like the Roku box). I certainly can't see the Myth devs signing an NDA (nor would I want them to do
so).

> :(  ... I may have to bite the bullet and update the firmware on my
>
> PS3.... bye-bye Linux I rarely use anyway...)

I've come to the same conclusion, I never even power up my PS3 any more, it idles at over 200 watts. It was fun to play
with Linux on it, but the RAM is just too limited, and no accelerated video.

There are lots of media players available for around $100, and many can do Netflix. Any UPnP player can do Netflix if used
with the PlayOn server, which, unfortunately, requires Windows and probably always will.

PlayOn transcodes on the fly, and outputs an MPEG2 program stream, you can watch it on an XBox-360, or even a Wii, or any
UPnP renderer/control point.