[mythtv-users] Matrox Millennium G400 MAX

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 16:54:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 9:43 AM, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
>> How did you spend hundreds and still end up with a motherboard that
>> only supports AGP?  Nobody has sold an AGP board for years.
>
> <sigh>
> The board I bought isn't an AGP based board, it's a multi-core pci-e and pci mainboard but since I was having problems with not having enough hardware selection on hand, I decided to give an older board a go since many people said that older boards are fine too.
>
> Not everything has to be yesterdays technology to try things out. Myth has been around for a very long time. I don't need the all out features and whiz bang functions just to play with it, that's all I want to do so want to use the old stuff I've got on hand.
>
> Make sense to you now :).

Actually, to use a modern version of Myth, modern technology is very
much required.  MythTV isn't an ecosystem where you get to pick and
choose the "weightiness" of the features you use (notable exceptions
being commflagging and transcoding).  To dispel some myths, MythTV is
not the cheap option.  MythTV is a *luxury* DVR.  Each successive
version of myth (especially going forward) abandons support for, and
consideration of, older hardware in order to remain modern and pick up
new features.  If you want to use Myth with 5-10 year old hardware,
then to run best it really ought to be a 5-10 year old version of
myth, and a 5-10 year old distro.

But your issue is one of distro configuration.  Similar to MythTV,
however, gone are the days of "Linux runs on all my old hardware, and
my toaster, etc."  The newer the kernel and distro, the less feasible
it is to run it on older hardware.

But what do I know, I'm only a Myth dev.

Robert