[mythtv-users] Automatic picture scaling

Johan johan.vanderkolk at dommel.be
Mon Oct 4 16:33:07 UTC 2010

> I'm using a DVB card and a PVR-500 card in my system.
>
> It appears fill does not work, most noticable on the PVR.
> The PVR-500 channels show a box in the top right hand (I guess the
> size of the settings in the recording profile, 768x576 for PAL)
>
> when I select the OSD menu, it appears at the usual place (top left
> hand of the screen, outside the picture)
>
> I then change the aspect ratio to for example 4:3, and the picture
> changes to full screen.
> Fill is set to "full" (when selecting automatic it changes to full,
> however no change in the picture, still the small box)
> When I change "fill" to off, I again get full screen...
>
> Using "zoom" the picture gets suddenly to large for my screen. Trying
> that a few times crashed my frontend with no error in the frontend log
> (standard logging)
>
> On the DVB input I dont notice the problem, but that might be due to
> the default resolution of the stream. I did notice scaling does not
> change to my preferences either (in case a 4:3 stream is transmitted
> and I have default scaling as 16:9)
>
> Any hints which settings I'm missing to make the automatic
> scaling/fill work?
>
> Johan

I've tried setting the defaults in Myth to what gave me a good picture
(fill to "off"), but that did not help. Also applied the DB modification
for Xinerama without improvement.

Just to be complete:
mythbackend version: branches/release-0-23-fixes [s25362]
mythfrontend version: branches/release-0-23-fixes [s25362]
kernel: 2.6.32-25-generic (Ubuntu 10.04)