[mythtv-users] Failed recordings

Jonathan Larson jtlarson at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 4 14:46:59 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Steve Smith
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2010 7:02 AM
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Failed recordings

On 26 September 2010 21:28, Steve Smith <st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I suspect that this problem has been around for a while but I've
> noticed far more since I recently upgraded from 21-fixes (custom
> build) to 23-fixes (Ubuntu packages).
>
> I keep getting recordings that start (or pretend to start) but then
> fail after a few seconds.
> (The captures are from DVB-T devices)
>
> I suspect this is a general design problem with Myth, in that the
> backend has never been at all resilient to recording problems. In the
> past (0.21) I've seen the backend crash completely on flakey DVB-T
> signals.
>
> Anyway does anyone know of any solutions to improve the resilience of
> recordings? I'd really like to see the backend monitor recordings and
> restart them if the file isn't getting any bigger, maybe rescheduling
> for later recording after a few fails.
>
> I can see how I could write a recordings monitor fairly easily from
> the new Event system, but can't see how I can restart individual
> recordings. At present the best we can do is restart the whole backend
> which will interrupt any recordings that are currently going on,
> successful ones included. Has anyone written one of these already?
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve

This problem is getting worse, particularly when there are multiple recordings starting at the same time. Has anyone else noticed this? At this rate I'll be going back to 0.21 soon....

I can't see anything in the logs (-v extra,record), and as far as myth is concerned the recordings don't fail and don't complete...ever...

Any ideas anyone?

Steve---I just recently posted about similar behavior (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/454321#454321). I've got 10 PVR-150s in 4 Debian boxes running 0.23.1, and occasionally one of the BE's will mark a recording as started, but nothing is written to disk, and the BE process has to be restarted in order for the recording to 'end'.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any common thread between the failed recordings which would lead me to a solution.

Jon