[mythtv-users] Merging two master backends

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Oct 2 16:50:45 UTC 2010

  On 10/01/2010 10:28 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>  On 10/1/2010 10:14, Niels Dybdahl wrote:
>> However as you need to transfer the whole contents, it is probably
>> easier just to make a sql dump of the recorded table and read it into
>> the other backend. Afterwards you will probably need to rebuild the
>> seektable (there is information somewhere on how to do that). I do
>> not think that you need to handle more than those two tables and then
>> of course copy the recording files.
>
> There's that table, and recordedcredits, and recordedmarkup, and
> recordedprogram, and recordedrating, and recordedseek, and
> oldrecorded.  Of course you really should be recovering your channels
> to match up with the recording too, so that means channel and
> videosource as well.
>
> Recovering recordings is not a simple process, and there is a lot of
> data you need to produce to do it properly.

Therefore, the proper approach is to stick the recordings from the
"other" backend into MythVideo.

In the future, we'll have MythTV automatically import orphaned recording
files.  Unfortunately, it's not a simple process, so it's not coded,
yet.  This complexity is also why we don't recommend direct DB editing
to add recordings (and why we've deprecated the scripts that attempt to
add recordings)--because you're likely to put corrupt data into your
backend, which could cause problems when you add it or months/years later.

Mike