[mythtv-users] OS X: Bloated binaries

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Thu Nov 25 17:43:45 UTC 2010

Hi:

I think this first issue is a bug but I thought I'd check before
submitting a ticket.

Each of the application bundles built by osx-packager.pl (.24-fixes,
32 bit) are about 85 MB bigger than they need to be.  Each of the
Frameworks includes 2 copies of the compiled code.  For example, the
MythFrontend.app/Contents/Frameworks/mythtv.framework/ folder
includes the 11.4 MB binary and then another copy in
MythFrontend.app/Contents/Frameworks/ mythtv.framwork/Versions/A/.  I
believe normally that there should be a _link_ from the top level
folder to the binary in ../Versions/A/.

For the 6 application bundles I built (Myth[AVTest | Backend |
Filldatabase | Frontend | TV-Setup | Welcome]), that is over 500 MB
of wasted space!

I believe the files on SouceForge are bloated for the same reason.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/

****

In addition, I notice that each of the application bundles includes
virtually ALL the same Frameworks.  Why do mythbackend and
mythfilldatabase have a dependency on libmythui?  In turn, libmythui
depends on libQtOpenGL, libQtGui and libQtWebKit and probably some
others and pull in at least 35 MB of code.

Also, I notice that libmythupnp and libmythhdhomerun are pulled into
the frontend, mythfilldatabase, and mythwelcome.  I thought it would
only be needed by the backend and maybe setup?

Are these 'extra' dependencies are unavoidable due to Myth's
structure?  Is there any way to eliminate some?  It would slim down
the apps quite a bit (making sharing easier) and it would have to
speed up the bundling process.

Craig