[mythtv-users] [mythtv] BrowserBased setup

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Nov 24 20:53:09 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, November 24, 2010 01:37:40 pm Cecil Watson wrote:

> Granted it is a rarity that one should have to run mythtv-setup,
> moving to an all browser based setup seems short sighted.  Whatever
> issues exist in setting up MythTV (distros aside), should be
> resolved in mythtv-setup.  If desired, a broswer based setup should
> complement mythtv-setup not, replace it.

I agree it's rare to need to run mythtv-setup, once the system is up and
running.

During the process of initial setup, it's not uncommon to have to run
mythtv-setup dozens of times in a day. The fact that you must go through
entire sections, and usually can't just go to the single thing you need
to mess with, this becomes very tedious.

Any effort at changing the setup methodology should take into account
that there are two very different use cases: Initial setup, and, once
that is done, the occasional need to tweak a setting or two, or perhaps
add a capture device or modify a remote control configuration.

Perhaps the two use cases should be separated in some way, they are
drastically different from each other. Your idea of complimentary methods
seems to be headed in that direction.