[mythtv-users] mythbackend still eats memory: the current status

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 17:14:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 9:08 AM, dargllun <dargllun at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I didn't mean to offend anyone, would feel sorry if I did. I just felt Udo
> needed some support here.

There is context that you are missing.  He turns up periodically with
"ps" output claiming that there is a memory leak, and last year we
*finally* managed to get him to produce valgrind output.  The reality
is that a much time and effort as we put in to getting real, usable
intelligence from him, and bashing our heads against a wall trying to
explain that the information provided was functionally useless, only
to be antagonized in response, have left a lot of us short or patience
when it comes to dealing with these threads.

Even after all of that, he is *still* only producing "ps" output.
It's like seeing a bright light out shouting "FIRE!"  It would really
help if you (and anyone else who felt like he is being treated
unfairly) would read the archives of our interactions with him.  We've
tried and tried and tried with him.  The last time he was through we
*finally* managed to get valgrind logs, and made some relatively small
fixes.  It only took several 100+ post theads over many weeks and
months to get what we first asked for, then pleaded for, and them
ultimately gave up on ever getting.

And here we are again, starting the same dance over again with ps output.

Robert