[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.24 HDMI audio problem

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 07:52:08 UTC 2010

Hi

On 19 November 2010 15:01, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, it looks to be with how Myth is trying to open the device and pass
> AC3/DTS through. I also don't quite understand why in mplayer I can
> use 3,7,8, or 9 but Myth seems to only work with 7?

If you check the XBMC page I linked to earlier, you will find that
those devices aren't all equal.

Some can do stereo only and won't work with AC3 or DTS passthrough.

Did you use passthrough in mplayer ?

> So I tried using 1,3 for mp3 music, and it plays, but the quality
> sounds as though its been downmixed to some horrible quality level.
> 24/96 produces static. same with 8 and 9.
>
> anymore info I can provide?

As above, not all those hdmi devices are equal and some will only work
for stereo, 16 bits audio.

Please understand that the issue is with alsa, you shouldn't have that
many devices to start with. This will probably get fixed in a future
version of the drivers.