[mythtv-users] DVB-S multirec: how many recordings per card?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 21:43:17 UTC 2010

Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>Greets, I use 2 Hauppauge Nova-S-Plus DVB-S cards in my mythtv-backend.
>
>Currently I use the latest version I get via gentoo portage:
>
>0.23.1_p27077
>
>My question: how many recordings per card should I configure?
>
>I currently have "3" for each of the 2 cards, and I am not so sure about
>that ...

Simple answer - "it depends" !

It really comes down to what **your** system can handle, and that
will be different to every one else's systems. If you can manage to
schedule that many recordings AND your system can keep up AND it can
do any other jobs (eg comm flagging) you want it to do AND it can
play back as many frontend streams as desired ... then it's OK.

If yu find that with several recording going on, and a commflag job
running, and playback going, that your frontends are not smooth -
then you've passed the limit for your system. In extreme, you may
find your recordings corrupt because buffers overflow before they can
be written to disk.

Having said all that, I don't know what your channel lineup is like,
but here in the UK it doesn't look like multirec is as useful as it
is for terrestrial because there are a lot more muxes and fewer
channels per mux on satellite.

--
Simon Hobson