[mythtv-users] DVB-S multirec: how many recordings per card?

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Fri Nov 19 16:44:12 UTC 2010

Am 18.11.2010 22:43, schrieb Simon Hobson:
> Simple answer - "it depends" !

Wow, really?? ;-)

> It really comes down to what **your** system can handle, and that
> will be different to every one else's systems. If you can manage to
> schedule that many recordings AND your system can keep up AND it can
> do any other jobs (eg comm flagging) you want it to do AND it can
> play back as many frontend streams as desired ... then it's OK.
>
> If yu find that with several recording going on, and a commflag job
> running, and playback going, that your frontends are not smooth -
> then you've passed the limit for your system. In extreme, you may
> find your recordings corrupt because buffers overflow before they can
> be written to disk.
>
> Having said all that, I don't know what your channel lineup is like,
> but here in the UK it doesn't look like multirec is as useful as it
> is for terrestrial because there are a lot more muxes and fewer
> channels per mux on satellite.

Thanks for your explanations. I just wanted some general feedback or
something like: "You should be safe with a setting of Y and the
technical maximum is X" ...

Or maybe some "I use those cards with a setting of X and it works fine".

I perfectly understand that the box itself also is important ...

Thanks, S