[mythtv-users] Many new dvd's not working

Dom H speedsix.lists at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 18 13:57:08 UTC 2010

Apologises for bringing this discussion back from the dead but I have
a few questions that some might be able to answer.

Basically I have tried every native linux application to rip
discs/titles to my media centre and none have been 100% reliable.

'mplayer dvdnav://1 -dumpstream -nocahce /dir/film.mpeg'

Has been the most reliable (uses dvdnav to skirt round corruption)
with one caveat, it doesn't save the metadata to display forced
subtitles apparently which, curse my limited grasp of non-english
languages, is a bit of a show stopper.

Prior to that I would use ddrescue to rip the entire iso. This would
sometimes leave me with problematic images of discs that played back
fine from the source in the same player (usually mplayer)

I can't get my head round this, a bit-perfect rip of the disc
(supposedly pads the corrupt bits) should playback in the same way the
original disc does, surely??

The only choice I have next is to go the wine route. I still don't
understand though why windows ripping software such as DVDfab etc need
to be 'constantly updated' to work around newer protection schemes. If
it sticks to the standards then 'if you can watch it you can rip it'
holds true does it not (in the same way mplayer dvdnav:// -dumpstream
does)

I hope the maplyer devs make -dumpstream a bit more complete, it
should be pretty damn reliable then (it plays pretty much every disc I
throw at it)

VLC has a similar dumpstream type option that uses dvdnav but it seems
less reliable than mplayer and again, probably doesn't rip subtitle
metadata.