[mythtv-users] Google TV HDMI Input

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Nov 17 16:28:01 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, November 17, 2010 09:12:59 am Justin Dunn wrote:
> Hi,I was reading about Google TV and it seems to have an HDMI input
> which displays in it's interface.Apparently you can have a full web
> browser open with a little corner display of the HDMI input.It
> appears that there must be an HDMI capture card in existence that
> can capture the HDMI output of STBs that Google uses. So I was
> wondering what prevents a HDMI capture card that captures the HDMI
> out of STBs existing for consumers that works with Linux and mythtv
> from existing? Is it just the HDCP that prevents it?Justin

Such does exist, except the "for consumers" part might be voided by the
high price, and I don't think Myth can work with any of them. An HDFury
can strip HDCP and capture HDMI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDfury

Of course "connect to analog displays" can be taken as a euphemism for
"copy".

The GoogleTV capture might be limited to very low resolutions (which
would make sense for a corner PiP), so it would not need to be able to
capture full res HD.

HDCP can be set up to simply downscale to 480i any output to an
unprotected path, and most HD STBs have a 480i composite output.