[mythtv-users] Google TV HDMI Input

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Nov 17 16:44:04 UTC 2010

On 11/17/2010 11:12, Justin Dunn wrote:
> Hi,
> I was reading about Google TV and it seems to have an HDMI input which
> displays in it's interface.
> Apparently you can have a full web browser open with a little corner
> display of the HDMI input.
> It appears that there must be an HDMI capture card in existence that
> can capture the HDMI output of STBs that Google uses.
> So I was wondering what prevents a HDMI capture card that captures the
> HDMI out of STBs existing for consumers that works with Linux and
> mythtv from existing? Is it just the HDCP that prevents it?

The GoogleTV is not capable of capture in the sense you're thinking of.
It has a dedicated hardware path that decodes the video, does whatever
transforms are requested, composites the GoogleTV UI on top, and outputs
it.  At no point is the decoded video ever made available to the Linux
system such that it could be stored to disk.  It may as well be your
monitor/TV overlaying the interface.

There _are_ HDMI capture cards.  BlackMagic makes a PCIe x1 card that
runs around $80.  However you will not find one that will touch anything
with HDCP.