[mythtv-users] HDMI audio on ION

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 06:57:14 UTC 2010

Hi

On 16 November 2010 17:33, DaveD <mythtv at guiplot.com> wrote:

> I had to hit the "Scan for audio devices" button to get my HDMI to show up
> in the list of devices.  It works like a digital passthrough; the only
> volume control is through the TV.  Myth's volume control has no effect.  I'm
> guessing there's a way to get alsa (phonon? pulse?) configured so the PCM is
> processed before being sent down the wire, but it works as-is.  I'm used to
> using my AVR's volume control (SPDIF) in the living room so using the TV's
> volume control in the bedroom comes naturally.  I needed to add a
> /etc/asound.conf that looks similar to Jean-Yves' asoundrc to get the
> default PCM device for the system to be the HDMI out.  I found the info on
> how to set it up from this page:
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/DigitalOut.

For volume control over digital to work, you need to activate the "software"
volume control.. It's in the list of volume control, in the settings page
right after where you configured ALSA:hdmi

the asoundrc will only be required for other program, not myth ; that's what
the scan for audio devices button is for : so you don't have to edit the
configuration file manually to tell what audio output to use.