[mythtv-users] IR pvr150 requirements with kernel 2.6.36 and lirc_zilog ??

Thomas Lewis-Flood tlewisflood at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 7 13:02:21 UTC 2010

Had a nicely running mythtv setup under slackware 10.2 with a hauppauge pvr150
tuner card. The infrared receiving and transmitting (blaster) both worked well.
I upgraded my system due to hardware failure, and since the new CPU was a 64bit,
I'm now running slackware 13.1 with all the 64bit libraries etc, and I've
unfortunately been subject to the various lirc changes underfoot in recent
times. I'm confused with the order of things and slackware's module loading in
relation to udev device management.

I compiled new kernel 2.6.36 and at least I now get a several Good Things:

1) I learned that lirc_zilog module is needed for the hauppauge cards. So when I
manually load lirc_zilog with modprobe lirc_zilog:

relevant lsmod output after modprobe:

# lsmod|grep -i lirc
lirc_zilog             14956  0
lirc_dev               11347  1 lirc_zilog
i2c_core               19884  11
lirc_zilog,nvidia,tuner_simple,wm8775,tuner,cx25840,ivtv,v4l2_common,videodev,i2c_algo_bit,tveeprom

dmesg additions after modprobe:

lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
lirc_zilog: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you
have been warned.
lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR driver initializing
lirc_zilog: chip found with RX and TX
lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0
lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR blaster firmware version 2.1.0 loaded
lirc_zilog: chip found with RX and TX
lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0
lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR blaster firmware version 2.1.0 loaded
lirc_zilog: initialization complete

I even finally got automatically created devices (although I vaguely recall
using only a single /dev/lirc with my old slackware), and I don't know which is
receiver and which is the blaster:

# ls -l /dev/lirc*
crw-rw---- 1 root root 61, 0 2010-11-07 07:36 /dev/lirc0
crw-rw---- 1 root root 61, 1 2010-11-07 07:36 /dev/lirc1

And wait! There's more! I get junk from both devices when I push the buttons on
the remote:

# cat /dev/lirc0
°

# cat /dev/lirc1
°

I wish I new what to do next, but I'm not sure about the state of affairs of
lirc-0.8.7 and do I even need it? I'm thinking I need two working lircd
instances--one for the receiver and one for the transmitter. I also need the
irsend for a channel changing script and I remember using irw with the old
slack10.2 setup to configure the remote buttons. So. I guess I'm stuck until I
can make lirc run in a meaningful way. Thanks for anyone who can help!