[mythtv-users] Upgrading Fedora 12 AND Mythtv 0.22 on the same combined FE/BE

Stephen Kitchener stephen at g6dzj.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 7 20:33:01 UTC 2010

On Sunday 07 Nov 2010, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2010, at 7:30 AM, Stephen Kitchener wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >
> > I wonder if anybody has done this... ?
> >
> > I find that I am behind on two counts and would like to upgrade to mythtv
> > 0.24 and I think that I am right that I also need to go to fedora 14 at
> > the same time as mythtv is not supported on anything else.
>
> Uh. What?
>
> MythTV 0.24 will run on Fedora 12 just fine. It just might not be
> pre-packaged in the repo(s) you're using. However, Fedora 12 does go
> end-of-life shortly, so updating to F14 isn't such a bad idea anyway. (Or
> even better, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6). :)
>
> > Would the correct sequence be to upgrade to 0.23 first under fedora 12
> > (which I am currently running), then to upgrade to Fedora 14 and then
> > upgrade the mythtv software.
>
> Not sure there is a "correct" sequence here. Small, incremental upgrades,
> testing for ongoing functionality along the way, are definitely less
> error-prone than a large upgrade jump. So yeah, I'd probably say upgrade
> mythtv first, make sure it still works, then move on to the distro upgrade.
> Technically, Fedora doesn't support skipping ahead two releases, but it
> *should* work out just fine. (Famous last words).
>
> > Does the new 0.24 appear under yum after I have changed repos ??
>
> Assuming you're using RPM Fusion for your packages, then yes.
>
> > What I want to do is to be able to keep the data that is currently in the
> > mysql database. I am keeping daily exports of the database, so should be
> > ok in that respect. I am using mythconverg_backup.pl from cron to export
> > this, this should be enough I hope ?
>
> Yep, should be fine. I've done rolling upgrades through quite a number of
> Fedora and MythTV releases w/the same database for several years now.
>
> Today is actually the day I finally drop my own Fedora 12 backend though,
> replacing it with a RHEL6 backend...

Sorry, yes I should have said that I knew that Fedora 12 was to be EOL'd very
soon, which is why I said that it wouldn't run, but I should have said that it
(the new Mythtv 0.24) wouldn't be available for F12, as it wouldn't have made
sense to support it on a Version of OS that wasn't being updated.

I should have said that I am using atrpm's for the mythtv part of the system.

I didn't know that I might have to go through F13 on the way to F14. More
reading indicated here then. Thanks

Thanks for the information.

Regards

Stephen Kitchener

www.imagebysteve.co.uk

Do not meddle with the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with
mustard

The Difference Between Genius And Stupidity Is That Genius Has It's Limits ~
Albert Einstein