[mythtv-users] VDPAU performance issue with 1 specific video

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sat Nov 6 21:01:01 UTC 2010

I think I figured out what the problem was here.  Although this was a
widescreen video, it had a lot of old clips that were non-widescreen.
I hadn't noticed it, but handbrake had decided that the entire video
was non-widescreen and that it should crop off the sides. It then
stretched the width back to 1920, which gave it a height of 1440. I'm
assuming the VDPAU drivers don't like working with such a high
resolution video (or perhaps my lowend GT210 card isn't powerful
enough to deal with that res at higher bitrates). Whatever the case, I
retranscoded it with no cropping and a proper resolution, and the
resulting video plays perfectly fine.