[mythtv-users] Oh Boy! "Compatibility Mode" Ubuntu to move away from X

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Nov 6 16:44:11 UTC 2010

On Saturday, November 06, 2010 06:46:41 am Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> I am certainly no Ubuntu "insider" but AFAIU, Gnome is Ubuntu's primary
> focus, so if KDE users are getting "short shrift" that's not entirely
> surprising.  If that's how you feel, choose another distro -- one that
> prefers and concentrates effort on KDE.
>
> It's really not fair to go to a motorcycle company and buy a motorcycle
> and then complain about how much it's not like a car.
>
> > and more than once a
> > complaint has been answered with "You should use Gnome".
>
> Maybe because that's where their effort is being spent and where the
> interface is cleaner.  Probably the right answer there should have been
> "You should use [distro] xyz".
>
> > But this is way OT.
>
> Sure it is, but some of your statements needed comment.

I'll keep this very brief, it is way OT.

Thanks for your input, your comments are certainly valid.

As you may have guessed, I had just wasted a lot of time with an Ubuntu system (not mine) and so was feeling somewhat
frustrated with Canonical. Getting Ubuntu-One to work with KDE was a real battle (again, it's not my system, and I have no
interest in Ubuntu One).

You're quite correct that most distros have a "way of doing things", and generally I can find one that's suited to my
personal quirks.

Linux Mint has apparently recently discovered KDE. May have to give it a try.

But I think I'll stick with the more generic distros, like Debian, Gentoo and Fedora/CentOS, then customize to my needs.

The number of distros is almost embarrassing, and certainly makes things difficult for projects like Myth, at least in some
areas.

Ubuntu has some good points, but I wish they would give more credit to the Debian app maintainers who supply most of their
apps.

</OT>