[mythtv-users] Using HDMI Disables All Audio?

David Lasker dave at altosdesign.com
Thu Nov 4 22:54:02 UTC 2010

On Nov 4, 2010, 12:49 PM, nospam312 at gmail wrote:
> When I connect my PC to TV via a HDMI cable the sound/audio no longer
> works - I am assuming the TV expects the audio to come down the HDMI
> cable or my PC disables the standard 3.5mm sound output jacks.
>
> I am using NVIDIA driver 256.53 and ALSA 1.0.21.

> I have tried setting the Audio Output Driver to ALSA:HDMI and
> ALSA:SPDIF in MythTV and this does not help. Audio Output is left as
> Stereo as my TV only supports Stereo.
>
> I have checked my alsamixer and nothing is muted.
>
> Does anyone have any pointers on what I should try to get things working?
>
> I am using 0.23fixes on Mythbuntu.

I had the same problem. ALSA:HDMI did not work for me (although
     speaker-test -Dplug:hdmi
worked correctly). I was able to get HDMI to work on mythtv by setting Audio
Output Driver to
     ALSA:plughw:x,y
where x and y are the HDMI card and device number displayed by "aplay -l".
For example, on my system:

dave at mythtv:~$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: INTEL HDMI [INTEL HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

So I use ALSA:plughw:0,3.

If you are still having problems, try the following to help debug your
system:

1) Set Gnome panel Sound Preferences to Digital Stereo (HDMI). Check if
other applications (i.e. youtube on Firefox) can output sound to your TV
over HDMI.

2) Try speaker-test with various values for -D

Hope that helps...

Dave