[mythtv-users] UK: managing Freeview and Freesat

Paul Raison paul at raison.org.uk
Mon Nov 1 22:50:09 UTC 2010

On 1 Nov 2010, at 21:44, Richard Morton wrote:

> Finally; the designated channel numbering & callsigns of channels on
> Freeview and Freesat are not the same but of course many channels
> carry exactly the same programs at almost exactly the same time (being
> pedantic here as there is going to be a short satellite transmission
> latency).
>
> So my questions:
>
> - how do other people arrange the numbering in a mixed
> Freeview/Freesat system to get a concise tv guide and yet keep it easy
> to maintain. The database update scripts on the wiki are only for
> either freeview or freesat not combined systems.
> - if I make a channel not visible; is it still used for scheduling?
> - If i make the callsigns the same between different broadcasts of
> the same channel, how do you set a preference for it to use the HD
> version if a suitable tuner is available?
> - If I make two or more channels have the same callsign and number
> does this achieve everything I have stated above or does that cause
> other problems. For instance set ITV1 on freeview, ITV1meridian on
> freesat and itv1hd all called itv1 and channum 3... how do I set a
> preference for it to use the HD channel for some shows and will
> mythweb report correctly that one of the channels is recording a show
> even though for most of the channels it is a duplicate?

I run a combined Freeview / Freesat setup. I have utilised the Sky channel numbering in my system, as pretty much most channels are on Sky. Where channels appear on both platforms, then I ensure that the name / channel number are the same so that myth will treat the channel as one single one. On my system, I have raised the priority on HD channels so that they are used in preference to the others.

Regards

Paul Raison