[mythtv-users] Best way to upgrade from older Ubuntu versions w/ MythTV?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon May 31 23:08:11 UTC 2010

On 05/31/2010 12:52 AM, Nick Rout wrote:
> I had a database backup though and that worked fine. I
> used the backup and restore tools that Mike Dean wrote (search the
> wiki for database restore and you'll find them)

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

And, I /highly/ recommend that anyone not using current trunk MythTV use
the trunk version of the restore script (note that the backup and
restore scripts will work with any version of MythTV, so it's safe to
upgrade them without upgrading the rest of MythTV).  Follow the
instructions in the first section of the page for downloading the
current versions.

The reason you should use the trunk version is that I just committed a
change that allows you to completely replace your database--dropping the
old and creating a new, then restoring the backup--with one command:

./mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database --create_database \
                          --directory=/path/to/backups \
                          --filename=mythconverg-1259-20100529160523.sql.gz

So you don't have to use mc.sql to create the new database, so you don't
have to figure out how your distro does MySQL permissions after mc.sql
changes (which, on some distros, means breaks) them for you.

Mike