[mythtv-users] Series and episode numbers in recorded TV using Freeview in UK

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun May 30 23:00:58 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 05/28/2010 10:46 AM, Simon Kiteley wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>

>>> If you have a listings source that provides series and episode sequence
>>> numbers and you want that information available, you'll need to modify
>>> the
>>> database schema to provide a location for the values, modify
>>> mythfilldatabase to store the values, modify MythTV to pass the values
>>> (which will need to be done in trunk, since there's been a refactor of
>>> the
>>> ProgramInfo passing since 0.23), and modify MythTV to make that value
>>> available for the theme (modify the program map and the theme XML
>>> parsing).
>>>

>> UK Freeview OTA services do provide this information. Well an ID to
>> identify a set of programs are in the same series and also some way of
>> identifying one event is a repeat of another for alternate recordings
>> (but not sure if this is an episode number of some random value).
>>
>> However all the stuff you have described above would mean I'd probably
>> get completely lost at the first step and by the time I'd researched
>> it all... old and grey ;)
>>
>> So does mythfilldatabase take the stuff on the stream and stick it in
>> the database or is it more for getting things from the internet?
>>

> Well, EIT would work through the EIT stuff, not through mythfilldatabase
> (so, really any complete fix would have to modify EIT parsing as well as
> mythfilldatabase).
>
>> Would someone know of a good tool just for looking at the DVB-T stream
>> so I can see whats on it?
>>

> I know there are some, but I'll leave it to others who know EIT better than
> me to mention them.

The OP may be interested in epgsnoop which parses eit data and turns
it into xmltv data. It also allows postprocessing to do nifty things
like fixing commonly misspelled programme names etc (eg those who like
to record Dr Who will know that the name can appear in a number of
formats, Dr. Who, Dr Who, Doctor Who, which can foil the scheduler if
not corrected).

https://launchpad.net/epgsnoop

There is also a program floating around that will parse the (NZ)
freeview MHEG data and turn it into xmltv data. Take a look at the
mythtvnz mailing list for more info. It's archived in the same place
as this list - see in particular this thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/431510