[mythtv-users] mythicalLibrarian and mythfs.py

Phil Linttell phil.linttell at rogers.com
Fri May 28 19:25:35 UTC 2010

> Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 10:41:52 -0400
> From: Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.
> To: Discussion about mythtv<mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> On 5/28/2010 09:06, Phil Linttell wrote:
>> >  using MythicalLibrarian to provide sensible directory/file name access
>> >  to myth recordings
> You mean like mythlink.pl or mythfs.py?
mythicalLibrarian is similar to mythlink.pl...  except it uses TheTvDb
to do lookups of season/episode/title information and organizes links to
recordings in a hierarchy of
Episodes/Program/Season/Program SxxExx (episode subtitle).ext

Similarly, it organizes movies and single showings.

You have the option of physically moving the file, and leaving a symlink
behind in the mythtv recordings directory, or linking back to the
recording (in which case, you need to clean up dangling symlinks
separately, when recordings are deleted.)   It can be run in batch (time
consuming) or as a user-job.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=MythicalLibrarian

I hadn't looked at mythfs.py previously, and I admit this method makes a
great deal of sense.  I'm not sure if mythicalLibrarian offers any
advantages over it.... how are the recordings named under mythfs.py?