[mythtv-users] Issue with Exporting and Cutlist not observed

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed May 26 15:30:08 UTC 2010

On 26/05/10 14:14, Bernard Giannetti wrote:
>> I see this issue has now resurfaced as ticket 8495.  I'm a regular user
>> of MythArchive and I would suggest an approach that doesn't try to do
>> everything all at once - at least until you have reached some
>> familiarity with how it works.  I don't know what your recording format
>> is, either.  But have you tried transcoding with the cutlist outside
>> mytharchive?  It doesn't sound like it - playback when a cutlist exists
>> will use it.  If and when you have the recording as you want it try
>> MythArchive again, and create an iso image that you can test before
>> trying to burn the DVD.  Then I use k3b to burn-and-verify.  Things may
>> still go wrong, but at least you may have made progress and won't be in
>> the all too familiar ' MythArchive failed with error 6' situation.
>> John P
> Thanks for the help.
> I'm not trying to record/burn to a DVD.  I want to take a single recording, create the cutlist (which I've done and verified when I view the recording in MythTV) and then export, whilst retaining the cutlist.
> Have I misunderstood the capability of MythArchive?  Will MythArchive take a recording and cutlist and write out a file that is smaller (with the cutlist bits removed)?  All I seem to get is the original sized recording as MPG, a PNG file and and XML file.
I think so: MythArchive is mainly for transferring recordings to DVD,
either as a standard DVD with 'navigation' facilities or to carry the
recording and metadata for later re-import to MythTV.  In the latter
case I think that the recording, cutlist etc _are_ just transferred
without processing.

> Don't know how to transcode outside of MythTV at all.  If I can use a command line version to create my reduced/trimmed recordings that would be great!
It sounds as if you want to apply the cutlist  and then move the
recording outside the MythTV box.  What you need is Mythtranscode.  You
can run that from the frontend > Watch recordings >  M > Job Options >
Begin Transcoding.  Or you can hit X while playing the recording.  Watch
the backend log to see progress.  You may need to set up options first,
in Frontend > setup > setup > TV settings > Recording profiles >
transcoders. You probably want autodetect from MPEG2 > Lossless.

Or you can use the command line: see mythtranscode --help.

Good Luck!

John P