[mythtv-users] OT: LED or Plasma (was Advice on choosing a TV)

Alasdair Macdonald wewalkforonereason at googlemail.com
Mon May 24 15:13:51 UTC 2010

On 20 May 2010 19:46, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
> Andre wrote:

>>> It would have, but it was just too late. I'd already made the order. Now
>>> if we don't like the set, it's Andre's fault! :-)
>>
>> I'm used to things being "my fault", usually it involves spending more
>> money than originally planned or in two cases a complete re-model of the
>> living room to accommodate a Projector rather than a TV ;-)
>>
>> No-one has been annoyed yet, well apart from when the credit card bill
>> arrives....
>
> Ok you are off the hook. :-) You are off the hook, big time. That was
> so much the right choice. The main worry I had was unfounded - that I
> might not get the striking clarity that I saw from the LED in the show
> room. I happen to have the same blu ray title that was used in
> the shop and it is every bit as striking.
>
> The colours are superb, but what stands out more is the smoothness of
> the motion. The 600Hz Intelligent Frame Generation seems not to be
> a gimmick after all. I'm already at the stage where I find turning it
> off unbearable.
>
> Just a couple of annoyances. It has DLNA and what's more it is
> compatible with Myth. So I thought I might be able to ditch my
> frontend, but for some reason you can't enable 600Hz while watching
> via DLNA. Really daft. It means I get better quality from my
> knocked together frontend, outputting to VESA into a VESA to
> Scart convertor than I do when the tv plays the same video
> directly. Also DLNA wont handle anything other than MPEG2
> from what I can see so far.
>
> And the other main annoyance is that the panel is very
> noisy. Sounds like a cheap switch-mode power supply. It's
> loud enough that it isn't always drowned out by the audio.
>
> But over all, superb. Very happy with it.

It wasn't until I accessed Viera Tools / Media Server that I
understood what DNLA is all about; without any password or
configuration, my MythTV recordings became available. I haven't
attuned to the various display settings enough to notice the effect of
those adjustments and tweaks (and besides which, I don't have any
content on my myth system right now), but the fact that this works
counts as a plus for be (for both MythTV and the hardware).

I don't hear any unwanted noise at all coming from my screen.

I have viewed a couple of movies (1950's and 1960's) from an SD DVD
player and there is an (unexpected) sense of 3D in many of the shots.
I haven't seen this in the more recent DVDs that I have tested, I
shall know more when I've had a chance to try out a wider sample. I've
yet to witness it in any broadcast source.

Very pleased with my purchase, too.