[mythtv-users] OT: LED or Plasma (was Advice on choosing a TV)

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Thu May 20 18:46:42 UTC 2010

Andre wrote:
> On 11 May 2010, at 16:08, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>
>> Alasdair Macdonald wrote:
>>> Well, the topic came up at the perfect time for me; I've been
>>> following it for the past several days, took advice that was offered
>>> earlier in the discussion, and have placed my online order (Panasonic
>>> TX-P50G20B) just a few minutes ago. (My current TV is over 10 years
>>> old, a 32" CRT. The new one is likely to be fed by at least 2
>>> computers as well as the more traditional TV / DVD sources).
>>> So my thanks goes to all those who have provided insight thus far.
>>> Paul - my guess is that this will nugde you a tiny bit further in one
>>> direction. HTH.
>> It would have, but it was just too late. I'd already made the order. Now
>> if we don't like the set, it's Andre's fault! :-)
>
> I'm used to things being "my fault", usually it involves spending more money than originally planned or in two cases a complete re-model of the living room to accommodate a Projector rather than a TV ;-)
>
> No-one has been annoyed yet, well apart from when the credit card bill arrives....

Ok you are off the hook. :-) You are off the hook, big time. That was
so much the right choice. The main worry I had was unfounded - that I
might not get the striking clarity that I saw from the LED in the show
room. I happen to have the same blu ray title that was used in
the shop and it is every bit as striking.

The colours are superb, but what stands out more is the smoothness of
the motion. The 600Hz Intelligent Frame Generation seems not to be
a gimmick after all. I'm already at the stage where I find turning it
off unbearable.

Just a couple of annoyances. It has DLNA and what's more it is
compatible with Myth. So I thought I might be able to ditch my
frontend, but for some reason you can't enable 600Hz while watching
via DLNA. Really daft. It means I get better quality from my
knocked together frontend, outputting to VESA into a VESA to
Scart convertor than I do when the tv plays the same video
directly. Also DLNA wont handle anything other than MPEG2
from what I can see so far.

And the other main annoyance is that the panel is very
noisy. Sounds like a cheap switch-mode power supply. It's
loud enough that it isn't always drowned out by the audio.

But over all, superb. Very happy with it.

Cheers,
	Paul.