[mythtv-users] Plugin framework?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed May 19 02:20:33 UTC 2010

Many of us are not conversant with enough with C/C++ but can get by in
scripting languages like python or perl. Some people would obviously
like to create plugins that look and act like part of mythtv. Many
marvellous things can be done with, eg, the python bindings. Often
they have to be accessed though via the command line or hooked in as a
user job.

I wonder if there is an easier way than learning c++ to create a myth
gui for such purposes? Do the new python bindings have enough hooks to
create a myth gui 'frontend' to a plugin?

My thought was, eg, you could make a simple page with a number of
buttons that accessed external scripts to do things like checking the
database, backing up, I dunno any arbitrary script or program. Such
plugin would look and act myth-like, and be controllable via remote,
but easily defined by, say, python commands.

I guess what I am asking for is python hooks into myth-ui. Does this
exist? Should it exist?

Am I way off beam? Have I explained myself properly?