[mythtv-users] Mysql permissions problem

Peter Abplanalp pta-myth at psaconsultants.com
Tue May 18 12:49:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 5:57 AM, Michael Tiller
<michael.tiller at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 7:00 AM, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
> wrote:
>>
>> Note that 0.0.0.0 translates to 0.0.0.0/32, ie a single address. To make
>> sure, you should specify 0.0.0.0/0 to ensure you cover the whole address
>> space (which I assume is what you want).
>>
>> Some software assumes 0.0.0.0 without subnet bits is everything, some
>> doesn't. Best way is to be explicit.
>
> As far as I can tell, "bind-address=0.0.0.0/0" is not allowed.  Any attempt
> to start the server hangs for me if I put that in there.  Changing it back
> to "bind-address=0.0.0.0" doesn't have the same problem.
>
> Besides, I don't think that is the issue.  The connection is not refused,
> access is simply being denied.
>
> Is there some way to get MySQL to spit out some kind of explanation in the
> log files?  The only thing I could find was an option to log queries and/or
> slow queries.  What I want is a log entry that says something like "User
> mythtv attempted to login from host ___, access from that host is not
> allowed" or something.  I can't figure out whether this is an issue with the
> host pattern somehow or whether there is something going on where it is
> doing a reverse name lookup or something that confuses the issue.  I figured
> by using IP I'd be safe but I'm not 100% sure.

http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?34,161843,194399#msg-194399

can you test from another host on your network? perhaps the mysql
client is smart enough to figure out it is on localhost and uses the
socket instead of the network port.

an easy way to test just connectivity is to 'telnet <hostname/ip>
3306'.  if you get a connection with some garbled text, your network
config is ok.

i'd also try a 'select * from mysql.user where user = "mythtv"' and
look for any differences.

i'm grasping at straws now :-)

-peter