[mythtv-users] VDPAU Error: Failed to create output surface on acer (revo) 1600

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sun May 16 21:58:50 UTC 2010

> One thing I have also noticed about the nVidia out on the revo is that
> the colors are "intense".  i.e. Reds are really red.  Way more so than
> the FX5200 in the existing BE/FE machine.  Reds are in fact way too red.
> Other colors could be just as intense, but the reds are the most
> noticeable.
>
> But this seems to be coupled with my TV.  My TV has a "use DVI connected
> computers with this" HDMI input as well as 2 other more typical HDMI
> inputs.
>
> The difference between the HDMI that has been especially designated for
> DVI->HDMI from computers and the other two is that a) it does not
> overscan and b) it does not process any input that might be on the HDMI
> input but instead has an analog input for use with that HDMI input.
>
> Anyway, the "really red" picture is only a factor when I plug the revo
> into one of the "real" HDMI inputs.  When I plug it into the DVI/HDMI
> input, the colors look a lot better.
>
> So I'd be happy to just use the HDMI designated for DVI with it's nicer
> colors but then I don't get the audio on HDMI from the revo.
>
> So I guess maybe I start having to tune the colors on the nVidia ION LE
> in the revo.
>
> Any tips on getting the color coming from the nVidia chipset correct?
>
> b.

I would wager that your various inputs can each have their own picture
settings.  Most TV's allow that so that you can calibrate the display
based upon the source.

I would also wager that the one designated for PC use was not set to
oversaturate colors or some other "vivid" mode as most desktop
applications look horrible when the colors are over saturated.  Most
of your other inputs will default to an oversaturated mess as that's
what TV makers know will appeal to the masses.

Just check the picture settings for the other inputs, I'd bet if you
set them the same as the PC input, the picture would be about the
same.