[mythtv-users] UK HDHomeRun+MythTV Success Stories

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Sun May 16 17:14:37 UTC 2010

On 16 May 2010 17:13, T.J. Crowder <tj at crowder.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Would anyone from the UK like to share their success stories using
> HDHomeRun and MythTV?
>
> Background:
>
> I'd like to set up a MythTV DVB-T box, but although I know a bit about
> Linux admin, I just do not have the bandwidth to allocate a lot of
> time (upfront and ongoing) to keeping the box happy. It needs to be
> (nearly) an appliance. Probably for that reason, and partially because
> I haven't had a box lying around with a full PCI slot for a
> WinTV-NOVA-T (now apparently no longer in production?), I still
> haven't done it, largely because I don't want to fiddle with capture
> card and remote control issues.
>
> But looking at the HDHomeRun, it seems like one of those (or two; we
> run into the two-tuner limit sometimes) plus an existing box I have
> would come pretty close to Just Working(tm).
>
> What's your experience, if you have a minute to share?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- T.J.

T.J.

I don't have a homerun...

But to set up a Linux myth box is very very very easy these days.

Install say Fedora from DVD takes maybe 30 minutes.
configure rpmfusion repo from web takes maybe 5 minutes
install myth from rpmfusion repo takes maybe 10 minutes
configure setup takes maybe 30 minutes

say 90 minutes all in to allow for any issues.

if you don't have a pci slot use a usb dual tuner