[mythtv-users] Getting a correct lineup for DishNetwork

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com
Fri May 14 20:53:53 UTC 2010

On 5/14/2010 8:24 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/14/2010 12:52 AM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>> I am not getting a complete lineup of all the channels that I should
>> be. I have a subscription to SchedulesDirect and it appears that I
>> have to subscribe to two separate lineups, one for DishNetwork
>> Satellite and the other for Local Broadcast Listings. (Correct me if
>> I am wrong on this)
>
> I'm guessing you just need to select the right provider.  One of the
> providers should be Dish Network including locals.  You've selected
> the wrong one.
>
>> The lineup report for DishNetwork shows channel numbers starting at
>> channel 72 and the lineup report for my Local Broadcast Listings
>> start with channel 2 and end with channel 58. I am only getting the
>> lineup for DishNetwork Satellite (starting at channel 72) and just
>> channel 2 though it is mislabeled and does NOT represent my local
>> channel 2 station.
>
> That would be fixed by selecting the proper provider at Schedules
> Direct.  Note, also, that Dish has "real" channel numbers for the
> locals (like 8543 or whatever) /and/, when you've selected the Dish +
> locals, you'll get "aliases" at the low channel numbers.  So you can
> choose to use either the low-numbered ones or the high-numbered ones.
>
>> Mythtvsetup is awfully poorly documented so I probably am not doing
>> something right to set it up, so as to retrieve both of these lineups
>> correctly. In fact I am only retrieving the lineup for the
>> DishNetwork Satellite and none of the channels from the Local
>> Broadcast Listings is showing up. I think I setup the Video Source
>> configuration dialog properly, choosing North America
>> (SchedulesDirect.org)(Internal) for my Listings grabber and entered
>> my user ID and Password for SchedulesDirect. And I clicked on
>> Retrieve Lineups which immediate pops up a dialog box saying it is
>> Fetching lineups from Schedules Direct... and instantly shows I am
>> 50% complete! After a few minutes the dialog box simply disappears
>> giving no hint as to whether it was successful or not.
>
> Ken is correct.  You can only have one lineup per video source.
>
>> The info in the Data Direct Lineup: changes to show "Local Broadcast
>> Listings-LocalBroadcast-98671-PC:98671"  and if I navigate to it, and
>> click on the right arrow it also shows "DISH
>> Network-Satellite-98671-ECHOST. So to my untrained eyes it appears as
>> if both of my lineups were retrieved ok... I got no idea whether
>> leaving this set, to one or the other lineups, affects anything. But
>> I have noted that this setting is not persistent (even if I do not
>> exit Mythtvsetup!) and the next time I open the Video Source Setup
>> dialog it will have reverted back to simply ECHOST, whatever that
>> means....
>
> That's a display-only bug.  It actually works properly, so just have
> faith.
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6637 (note the "it is saved in the
> database correctly" part)

> [...]

Thanks Mike for your replies..  OK I guess this is going to have to be
done in small baby steps it seems... I think I figured out the correct
lineup to use at SchedulesDirect, they kinda mislabeled it changing the
name from DishNetwork to just Dish which is confusing. But the channels
do appear to be close to what I actually get and include the locals.  So
I again went through mythtvsetup and retrieved the linup and refetched
the channels from the listing source. I also went into the Channel
Editor and told it to download the icons, which it did a fair job of
doing. After exiting mythtvsetup I reran mythfilldatabase. Up to this
point everything seems to have worked ok....

Upon restarting mythfrontend, I selected Watch TV, brought up the
onscreen menu and selected Program Guide. And hit another hiccup! It
took quite a few seconds before the Program Guide would even display,
and the responses to keyboard input is extremely slow! Anywhere from 5
to 30 seconds it seems most of the time, with occasional responses as
long as 2 or 3 minutes! Also I am now seeing the channels for my local
stations, but "Unknown (Unknown)" is shown for all the local program
listings. And none of the icons are showing up as I would have expected.
(Note: responsiveness outside of the Program Guide seems to be fine,
from what limited testing I have done so far...)

Rebooting, restarting the mythbackend, and mythfrontend does not fix
this problem.  Anyone got any idea as to what is wrong? I looked at top
and cannot see any process chewing up the processor usage either.

    Marc...