[mythtv-users] Advice on IR blasters

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Tue May 11 13:57:12 UTC 2010

I recently got an Acer Aspire Revo to use as a FE/BE combo.  My previous
MythTV system used firewire to change channels which worked great.  Sadly,
the Revo doesn't have any provision for Firewire so it looks like I have to
switch to an IR blaster :-(

I have an HD-PVR and I've managed to get the patched HDPVR driver and
updated LIRC drivers built, but I couldn't get them to work (MythBuntu
10.04, see previous post a few days ago).  Even if I got it to work, the
prospect of having to continually patch the kernel with every release isn't
very attractive.

So I'm interested in low maintenance alternatives.  I've seen notes that say
the MCE-USB IR devices are supported out of the box but I've seen other
posts saying they don't have very good transmission strength.  I've seen
mention of USB-UIRT devices they seem a bit pricey and don't even seem to
come with an emitter (just a port for it) and I've not clear how good the
support for them is.

My Revo has plenty of USB ports so is there a reasonably priced, well
supported (and well performing) IR transmitter for USB out there?  Any
recommendations?

Note I don't need the IR receiver because I've got an HDHR and that works
quite well so I'm less concerned about the receiver performance.

Comments, suggestions?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

--