[mythtv-users] Advice on IR blasters

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue May 11 14:20:02 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 11 May 2010 07:57:12 am Michael Tiller wrote:
> I recently got an Acer Aspire Revo to use as a FE/BE combo.  My previous
> MythTV system used firewire to change channels which worked great.  Sadly,
> the Revo doesn't have any provision for Firewire so it looks like I have to
> switch to an IR blaster :-(
>
> I have an HD-PVR and I've managed to get the patched HDPVR driver and
> updated LIRC drivers built, but I couldn't get them to work (MythBuntu
> 10.04, see previous post a few days ago).  Even if I got it to work, the
> prospect of having to continually patch the kernel with every release isn't
> very attractive.
>
> So I'm interested in low maintenance alternatives.  I've seen notes that
>  say the MCE-USB IR devices are supported out of the box but I've seen
>  other posts saying they don't have very good transmission strength.  I've
>  seen mention of USB-UIRT devices they seem a bit pricey and don't even
>  seem to come with an emitter (just a port for it) and I've not clear how
>  good the support for them is.
>
> My Revo has plenty of USB ports so is there a reasonably priced, well
> supported (and well performing) IR transmitter for USB out there?  Any
> recommendations?
>
> Note I don't need the IR receiver because I've got an HDHR and that works
> quite well so I'm less concerned about the receiver performance.
>
> Comments, suggestions?

What you really want is a USB MyBlaster, sadly they are no longer made. They
came in serial and USB versions, and are great, from opening the box to
working perfectly took me less than 10 minutes. Best $50 I ever spent on Myth
gear.

I checked eBay, and found this when I searched for "myblaster":

http://www.home-electro.com/tira2.php

I know nothing about it, the link popped up as a "paid" listing after a
myblaster search.

I found no reference to Myth on their "links" page. You may prefer something
that's known to work well with Myth.

Have you checked the WiKi?