[mythtv-users] HD-PVR /dev/lirc does not exist

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat May 8 21:07:30 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Captain Krypto <captainkrypto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a guess, but is the service started?
> "service lirc start"

The device node /dev/lirc0 is created when the lirc kernel driver
successfully loads, not when lircd is started.

> I had the same problem on FC10 so I just added something like this to
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local :
> if [ ! -e /dev/lirc0 ]; then
> mknod /dev/lirc0 c 61 0
> chown root:root /dev/lirc0
> chmod 660 /dev/lirc0
> fi
> Kinda hackey, but it worked.

Um. No. It didn't. Trust me. The only thing it might possibly have
done is make lirc happy because its got a device node to connect to
before the driver is actually registered. Current lirc will actually
happily start up and wait for the device node to appear. But a driver
*must* get loaded and *must* register an lirc device for something to
actually be backing /dev/lircX. Simply creating the device node does
NOT accomplish that.

> This post might help:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/lirc-linux-remote-control-isnt-setting-up-dev-properly-udev-problem-599664/

No, the real answer is this: the hdpvr ir enable patch was
accidentally dropped from the Fedora kernels when they were rebased
from 2.6.31 to 2.6.32, and I haven't got around to putting it back in
place. In other words, its not going to work until he's got an hdpvr
driver patched to enable the ir part.

Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com