[mythtv-users] MythTV to MythVideo, best and easiest solution for Mythbuntu 10.4?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri May 7 20:48:25 UTC 2010

On 5/7/2010 16:15, Sven Bretfeld wrote:
> Hi all
>
> "Sven Bretfeld"<sven.bretfeld at gmx.ch>  writes:
>

>> That's a possibility. And how about storage-groups? I just read the
>> respective article on mythtv.org. Would it be possible to make two
>> storage-groups for 'movies-to-keep' and 'series-to-keep' and have these
>> in folders different from default recordings? The advantage would be
>> that I could assign the correct storage-group already in the recording
>> schedule. Would it be possible to tell the MythTV backend to never
>> expire recordings in those storage-groups?
>>
> I tried this possibility and again something doesn't work as expected. I
> created a new storage group called 'Collection'. I want to mount a large
> disk to the respective folder /var/lib/mythtv/collection/ and save the
> recorded shows, that I want to keep for good, in that folder.
>
> Now, I can find no possibility to move recorded shows into that storage
> group. Have I misunderstood anything? The Wiki says:
>
> ,----
> | Multiple Storage Groups can also be created to group recordings
> | together; recording schedules now have an option to specify which
> | Storage Group to use.
> `----
>
> Is that only possible for new recordings? There must be any way to
> change the storage group of an already existing recording. What if I
> change my mind which recordings I want to group together? Where is the
> storage group management?

You can specify a storage group for recording rules to use, and
mythbackend will automatically record them there.  You can also move
recordings around at will within a single host.  Mythbackend will search
all available storage groups in an attempt to find a recording, even if
it does not show up in the specified storage group.  There is no GUI or
set of command line tools to shuffle recordings around automatically.